Search This Blog

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Never Mind the Calendar


Aug. 30, 2012

This morning, today but yesterday in my current time zone, I said goodbye to a dear friend in Paris and tried to gracefully make my way into the metro. I blame it on all of the bags I was carrying, but I got stuck through the turnstile. Somehow, I managed to get only one leg through, while the other leg remained on the other side of the turnstile. I didn't realize this until one of the revolving bars was beating against my you-know-what. Leave it to me to entertain Parisians during rush hour.

Eleven flights later, I am finally home after my two years in Japan. My work contract hadn't officially ended, but I was already in Thailand enjoying my freedom. Soon after, I spent a week in Los Angeles before taking off to Europe for a dose of friends, cheese, wine and perfect bread. I said goodbye to Japan three weeks ago, yet I'm not sure what that means, or what effect it will have on me. It's too soon to tell, I think. Was it all just a dream?

I feel that I should write a single blog post to conclude my two years in Japan, but if you've been in my shoes, you know it's not that simple. Instead, I will ease my way out of this blog with a few more posts. I hope you don't mind. And if you're still keen on reading my stories, I might start another blog about life in America and then you'll really never get rid of me.

Ok, jet lag beckons me to sleep. Speak soon!

----

I wrote this entry over a week ago with the intention of publishing it immediately. Unfortunately, I fell asleep in front of an open laptop and then I got caught up settling in. Never mind the calendar, I still feel that way. 

P.S. This song came up on my playlist right before I landed in Washington D.C. from an international flight. Welcome home, it said to me.

  

I may be pursuing different things than Kanye and Jay Z, heck I don't even agree with them most of the time, but something about this country, that flag and the people here has got me wanting to scream in bliss like the duo. Home sweet home. There's nothing like being in a very familiar place, one who's flaws and strengths you know so well.

2 comments:

Marcusgj said...

Hehe definitely the best song off a slightly disappointing album. I'll definitely keep reading your misadventures never failed to entertain and your insights never failed to move :).

Anonymous said...

Finally a person that puts some real work into a blog. I do like what you have done with the blog.